Monday, January 28, 2008

Double Century Training

Back in October, I had decided to ride a double century for the first time as a part of my 30th birthday celebration (For the record, I turn 30 on May 22). I will be doing the Davis Double Century with one of my Team in Training Coaches, John Gebhardt, and teammate, Lupe Arredondo. I began training yesterday while riding a 42 mile route.

For those of you who may not know John, he is a well rounded type of guy. His technical approach to cycling helped me complete my first century -- America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride '07, Lake Tahoe, NV -- as a member of Team in Training. Believe me, if it weren't John's expertise such as teaching me how to shift, I would not have made it through the first mountain of the ride. Since then, I have completed 2 more centuries and currently training for another. And Mr. Gebhardt is one of the reasons why I got into the cycling bug.

One of his concerns for me as a cyclist is my ability to attack the hills and speed increase. In order to complete this task, he advised that I do more sprinting later on the week. Therefore, I put John's ideas into task. I tackled the country roads of Kings County by sprinting from one telephone pole to the next. This lasted for about an hour and a half. My speed average was 16 miles per hour on a 16 mile route with light rain.

Sprinting will make me an effective rider. Whether it will increase my endurance remains to be seen. At least Mr. G will show me the way.

1 comment:

Century Trainer said...

Congratulations on your acheivements!

How will your training differ for a double century? Do you have a particular schedule you will follow?