Thursday, June 19, 2008

Going Vegan and Green



Part of my training regiment is to eat nutritious foods. I must say, I am very particular on where to shop for groceries. For the record, you will NEVER see me purchase foods at a convenience store. Outlet grocery stores are not particularly my favorites. Regular grocery stores such as Save Mart, Albertson's, or Vons are always at the top of the list. However, seeing junk food does make me go sick to my stomach! Wholesome, certified organic stores such as Whole Foods (www.wholefoods.com) and Trader Joe's (www.traderjoes.com) is where you will see me purchasing goods to stack up my refrigerator.

Though I may have to commute to the nearest health foods store (ahem- Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in Fresno, CA), I firmly believe that shopping for nutritional reasons is very cost efficient. Organic foods decrease cancer, heart disease, and fight off the body's immune system. In addition, it promotes biodiversity and minimizes processed foods that are free of hydrogenated fats, artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners. Yes, you may think that purchasing an organic cheese is expensive, but in the future it will help you defeat cholesterol.

With all the organic hype that has surrounded our nation, I have decided to "Go Green." I have spent more commuting time on my bike and shopped at local groceries stores where the the USDA Organic logo is displayed. However, don't worry America, I still wear regular clothing as I spend the other half of my income on places where I like to shop for clothes (i.e. Gap, Express, Old Navy, Limited, New York Company, and Macy's) Also, my home consists of somewhat free of hydrogenated fats. Although, I am trying to convince my parents that the reason why their cholesterol level has lowered is due to the processed foods that used to plague our kitchen (Not to mention I did convince them to exercise!). Well, at least I am saving the world right?

No comments: