Sunday, October 12, 2008

1st Annual Tulare Triathlon

Third time is indeed the charm. Another triathlon is in the books. The First Annual Tulare Triathlon was a success.

Like Merced Triathlon, the course is flat which is great for beginners. It consisted of 400 yard swim, 10 mile bike, and 3 mile run.


Swim:The swim was very short, compared to what I experienced last week at Merced. The pool was 25 meters long, as opposed to 50 in Merced. Because of the length of the pool, I didn't feel winded and swam straight through without stopping. Although, once I got out of the pool, I slipped along the transition line and nearly cracked my head.... Ouch!!

Bike: To make up lost time as a result of my fall, I had to pedal fast on the bike. I averaged 17 to 20 miles per hour while on a 10 mile ride. Most importantly, there were no hills! Not so bad for a person who has completed 5 centuries!
Run: I must admit, running is my weakness of all the events in a triathlon. Although, I underestimated my overall performance. I averaged about 4.0 miles per hour. Most importantly, I ran as fast as I could with one of my closest friends at my side. Thanks Mandy!
With another triathlon in the books, I have my eyes set on training for a Half-Ironman in Auburn, California near Sacramento http://www.auburntriathlon.com/. However, it will probably be after nursing school.

1 comment:

triblog carol said...

Way to go Mel! Biking is my favorite too!!!