Monday, November 10, 2008

Inaugural Trail of Two Cities Half and Full Marathon





The Inaugural Trail of Two Cities Half and Full Marathon was a success. It started off with a Health and Fitness Expo at a church convention center in Fresno, California. There were lots of fitness and nutrition books. In addition, many of the runners got a chance to meet Kathrine Switzer, a famed women's marathoner (see my picture).



The half marathon (13.1 mile) course was very flat, which is great for beginners. At about mile 8, I started cramping. I must admit, I failed to drink lots of water prior to the event. However, I did not want to stop. Like the Energizer Bunny, I kept running and running.


Throughout the course, I got reacquainted with old friends and made new ones. In the end, I was able to finish at reasonable time (3 hours 39 minutes) with many people, especially with two ladies who are my support system- one of them a pioneer, cheering at my side.

1 comment:

Jenni G said...

Yeah Melanie! You did it. I AM proud of you, you go girl! What's next? Full marathon? I start my marathon training in a few weeks, and I'm kinda looking forward to it and kinda not. In central Illinois, those winter morning runs can be VERY tough!

Congrats again! There's no stopping you now. :)