Monday, May 4, 2009

Cycle 4 Central

Schools are in dyer financial need. Districts are scrounging for every penny to keep faculty and students afloat. Thus, many of them seek money from the community to make ends meet. The Foundation for Central Schools was formed to provide supplemental funding to restore excellence in education within the Central Unified School District. The organization hosts fundraisers as a part of the ongoing process to generate funding.

Among the fundraisers is the annual Cycle 4 Central, a non-profit bike ride. The event consisted of 3 different courses - a metric century, 25 mile ride, and a 10 mile ride- all were flat. In typical fashion, I opted for the metric. Being that it was a non-terraneous route, I thought that I was going to have a joyous exercise until I misread the directions of the map given to all contestants at the registration table. This happened about mile 2. So, I headed back to the start line, talked to the race director who was gracious to give me a new map. From there onward, I was able to complete the 60 mile ride in about 5.5 hours with moderate headwind while befriending volunteers, all were educators within Central Unified School District, and fellow male cyclists whos buttocks I seem to mesmerize. Overall, it was a great ride!

1 comment:

Jason Hosman said...

Sorry I missed it, I always worry about getting off course!